Saturday, February 17, 2007

Wow....

1042 page hits in a bit over a week. That's really astonishing, I didn't realise I had anywhere NEAR this many readers. From looking at the stats and where people are coming from, I'll do a few more psych folk/indie posts before going on to the next thing (I am thinking of starting a series on Dylan). Next up will be some Six Organs Of Admittance, and I think I will wrap up this whole freak folk extravaganza with Devendra Banharts compilation album, Golden Apples in the Sun.

What I have been doing so far is just posting what I am listening to at the moment. I tend to go through phases. I start by really getting into a genre, I listen to alot of different stuff. Then I start getting the urge for something new, and start looking for cool new stuff. The music from the previous genre starts getting pruned off of my iPod until I have only a handful of albums that I really love, and those tend to stay with me for whenever I happen to be in the mood for them. This is what has lead to my exceptionally eclectic listening habits, and is why the music choices on this blog tend to be fairly schizophrenic (I mean, theres a BIG difference between Joanna Newsom and Mississippi John Hurt).

I know alot of my page hits are people looking for something specific, and that's OK, but I also know I do have regular readers. To develop an audience, typically you need to focus on one kind of music, and I really haven't been doing that. So folks, what do you say? I could probably go on and on for a long time about, say, folk blues and bluegrass, and that would bring a specific kind of audience. I could also continue as I have been, and give people the opportunity to expand their horizons. If you don't dig something now, doesn't mean you wont in a year from now. A big part of finding good music that you aren't into yet is trust, and if you can trust that I won't post garbage, then you will have the opportunity to broaden your taste in music with me.

4 comments:

korentinkoki said...

i enjoy your kind of way, i think that the "new folk" (johanna newsom, devandra banhart) is an interesting "movement", and i am very happy to listen those new songs (for exmple in "the golden apes of the sun)
but Misssissipi John Hurt and other the roots of that music are the roots of that music. Well it's too u h an evidenc, but the thing is dont change your eclectism...
sorry for my english .....

whiteray said...

I saw go on as you have. There's much to be said for presenting a diverse menu. (I hear in my head "You can get anything you want at Alice's restaurant"!) I wouldn't limit yourself. You're doing good work!

iz said...

i agree with your approach... stay true to what you love. it's more real, and is part of what makes this blog interesting! and when it comes right to it, we all have our favourite music, but life's that much more rich when we expose ourselves to new tunes, new expressions. thanks for letting us catch a glimpse of something new!

Miss F said...

I agree with the three people who commented so far!

*^_^*